Rent Supplement for Tenants Laid Off Due to COVID-19.

If you are a landlord and are aware that your tenant has recently lost their job or been temporarily laid off, direct them to the department of social protection to apply for Rent Supplement. Many tenants are not aware that this may be available to them. Or if you are a tenant, you can contact the department directly.

The applications can be found at

Rent Supplement and Housing Assistant Program (HAP) are two different schemes. Rent Supplement is available as a short-term income support to those in the private rental sector who are finding it difficult to pay their rent.

Housing Assistant Programme (HAP) means that local authorities can provide housing assistance for households who qualify for social housing support, this includes long term Rent Supplement recipients. To qualify for HAP a household, the household must qualify to go on the local authority housing waiting list.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *